we will give you a series of recommendations on how to choose the right shirt for each occasion . Learn a little about the origins of this garment, how to select them according to the shape of your body and what is the protocol that exists to wear them. Continue reading for more information.
Origins of the shirt
Shirts are garments that have evolved over the years. As we know it now, with a collar, buttons and in various forms, it appeared between the 19th and 20th centuries.
Before that time, the shirts were part of the underwear. They used to be soft and their function was to separate the skin from the tissues of the other garments that were characterized by being rougher.
In ancient times the designs were simple and people used to get to see maximum neck and sleeves. According to the codes of ethics and old protocol, men were prevented from taking off their jackets because it was synonymous with showing their underwear.
As society has evolved, shirts have also done so. These have diversified in shapes, colors and styles. Nowadays, these types of garments are part of the day-to-day life of gentlemen and some ladies who usually wear them in style.
The right shirt for every occasion
Men’s shirts vary by neck details, cuffs, color and texture. These factors will be decisive to select the most appropriate.
If the occasion is formal and elegant, such as a wedding ceremony, it is best to wear a classic dress shirt. These are characterized by being white, pure and smooth, with long sleeves. The cuffs should be double, in case you want to carry twins. These do not usually have pockets because if you want to use a handkerchief or an ornament, it is better to place them in the jacket pocket.
If the occasion is informal, you can wear prints or more vivid colors. You can leave long sleeves for the night. In seasons like summer, the best are short sleeves; to wear long sleeves, it is best to wear rolled up shirts .
Shirts must be selected in the appropriate size and fit the body of the man. When you fasten your neck, you will know that the shirt is appropriate for you, if you move it in several angles and it does not tighten.
With the arms stretched, the cuffs of the sleeves , should reach just over the hands. So when you have your arms crossed, your elbow will not pull your fist. If you wear a jacket, the cuffs should protrude at least a couple of centimeters.
Another recommendation to choose the perfect shirt is that it must be tight to the body, but it should not be marked. If when you try it on, all the buttons are a little stretched, it is best to ask for one more size.
When wrinkles are formed on the shirt on the sides, or on the part of the shoulders, it means that it is too large . If this is your case, it is best to ask for a smaller size. As well as shirts, you can also learn how to combine polo shirts .
Choose the shirt according to your neck
There are many tips we can give you to wear a shirt with style or to buy one. The main one is how to select them, according to your type of neck. When you buy one of these garments, after buttoning the neck button, you must enter a finger.
- If your neck is short, avoid shirts that have very long neck tips. So it seems that you have the longest neck.
- If your neck is long, you can wear any type of shirt, except for the mao. You can also wear bow ties without worry.
- If your neck is narrow, opt for shirts with separate pointed necks, avoid ties and wear bow ties.
Types of formal shirt collars
This is one of the most basic elements of a men’s shirt . In fact, it is one of its focal points. You don’t usually pay much attention, however, you have to do it. In general, there are 7 types of shirt collars.
- English : It is one of the most traditional in men’s dress shirts, it is usually more closed than the Italian collar. It is narrow opening, its cut is between formal and discreet. Its tips are also elongated and is taller than other types of necks. Because it is a narrower neck, the ties should not be very wide.
- Italian : the tips of this type of necks are usually more open, wide and short. Its advantage is that it looks good with ties or without them. Obviously, if the occasion is formal, you can’t stop wearing your tie. Being wider, the tie becomes more relevant because of the wide separation between the tips.
- Opera or wings : this particular neck is used only for very special events, large ceremonies or galas. Thanks to its shape, its main objective is to highlight the bow tie. When the occasion merits it, it can be combined with a plastron, to reinforce the elegance of this type of shirts.
Casual shirt collars
The use of this type of necks, is reserved for day to day. Depending on the combinations that you make of costumes they could get to look formal. Some like French or American, you can wear them with ties.
- French : it is a standard model but very elegant. Its tips are not usually very open, that gives a refined touch, ideal to combine with ties if the occasion warrants. The width of this type of neck usually varies depending on the model of the shirt. Sometimes it might look like the English neck and at other times, its tips are practically horizontal.
- American : used to go to the office because they give that touch of formality necessary. This type of shirt has buttons on the ends of the blades. This pair of buttons gives them an informal touch so you can wear it in a relaxed way.
- Mao : It’s perfect for shirts that you can wear on the beach or enhance your boho chic style. In the case that you want to wear a shirt with this type of necks you can do it, the best of all is that you will not have to wear a tie. It is characterized by being a short, open, raised piece with rounded ends. It is inspired by oriental costumes. In the case of having a short neck, it is recommended to wear the central opening without a button because it lengthens this part of the body.
Types of shirt cuffs
Just as there are different types of collars, shirt cuffs are also often varied. These are usually chosen according to the occasion and the type of body of the man.
- Buttoned : they are the most common and are used on informal occasions. There are several types; straight, filed or curved, with a button or with three.
- French : this one does not have buttons, instead it has eyelets to place the twins. It has only one eyelet per cuff and the finish can also be varied.
- Milanés : it is double or with a turn. The buttons can attach the cuff in the bottom layer and on the outside it has an eyelet to place the twins.
Choosing the right shirt will make your styling change completely. It is always good to read these recommendations to look appropriate to the occasion